Monday, June 14, 2010

For want of a lightbulb

Most of the time my belief in the sovereignty of God is wonderfully comforting and enthralling. The fact that there is a Plan and a Pattern. That "everything works out for the good of those who love God who are called according to His purpose." Everything. That is an amazing thought.

But occasionally I catch myself giving it a superstitious twist.

For instance, 5 minutes ago my light bulb burnt out and my first thought was, "I wonder what that means. Why did it burn out tonight of all nights?"

I've always loved the old saying: "For want of a nail the shoe was lost, for want of the shoe the horse was lost, for want of the horse the rider was lost, for want of the rider the message was lost, for want of the message the battle was lost, for want of the battle the war was lost. All for the want of a nail."

I really do believe that little things matter. For instance, whenever I'm late for some unforeseen reason, I almost always think to myself, "Maybe if I was on time I would've gotten into a crash... or something."

Most of the time. I love it. It means that not only do little silly, senseless things make a difference, but that little silly, senseless people do too. It means that evil will never, ever win.

But when I say/ think things like... "its a sign" "what does this mean?" "I have a bad feeling about this..." Hmm...

The sovereignty of God, its good sound doctrine. But sometimes... like when I'm home alone and a light bulb burns out. I'm down-right pagan.

No comments: