Beefygeek has recently started a new job that has him coming home at later, less predictable hours and this has sent me back to my go-to repertoire of quick, easy meals that I can make during nap time or with a baby crawling around my feet.
I've been complaining about how expensive my foodie blog habit has been lately, so I decided that I'll be the change I want to see. As epic as that sounds...
To help me, and maybe you... I've come up with a list of about forty meals that use either ground beef or shredded chicken (two of the easiest, cheapest, quickest to cook and defrost meats IMHO.) I'm going to keep this list on hand in the kitchen so I can quickly pick something for dinner when need be. Here goes:
Ground Beef (or ground turkey if you HAVE to. But most of these allow for draining and even rinsing the fat off before using. A few articles here and here.)
- sloppy joes
- shepherd's pie
- stuffed peppers
- "stir fry" (basically just cook up the ground beef with onions, veggies, and seasonings and serve over rice)
- homemade hamburger helper
- Beef Stroganoff (never made it, but it's on the to-try list. I actually have some leftover egg noodles and sour cream right now...)
- any casserole (there are probably at least fifteen variations here alone. just use Amy Dacyzyn’s good old Tightwad Casserole formula.)
- soup (Although I've honestly never made soup with ground beef; I found some interesting recipes online. If you have any go-to recipes, please share!)
- Chicken Pot Pie (I often top with biscuit dough instead of pie crust, it's just easier)
- Super easy pot pie variation: mix and cook sauce with meat and veggies on stove top and serve over rice or noodles
- white sauce/alfredo over noodles
- enchiladas (red or white)
- white chili
- chicken salad
- add to PW's Sesame noodles
- add chicken to lettuce salad, Cesar or otherwise
- add to any rice-o-roni/hamburger helper type thing, either homemade or bought on sale!
- chicken divan
- pulled barbeque chicken
- add to stir fried vegetables (not as good as freshly stir fried chicken but super fast if you're in a pinch)
- any casserole (use same formula as ground beef)
- about a million chicken soups (chicken noodle, tortilla, wild rice, vegetable... use soups like casseroles: to use up whatever is in your fridge)
I'm realizing Mexican food is super easy looking at this list lol! With some notable exceptions (lasagne being the most obvious) these are cheap and you probably already have the ingredients in your kitchen (or you should!) I'm going to go back through and link to some favorite recipes, just so i have them all in one place, but that's about it for now! What are your favorite uses for these quick proteins?