Thursday, April 26, 2012

New Poem

Escape from Reality by Gilderic Photography
Escape from Reality, a photo by Gilderic Photography on Flickr.

"Marah in the Utter East"

Every year, until the years stop coming
That tree makes bitter waves sweet.    1,4

Finally tired of the shallows, as if wakened from a sleep
Deeper in I plunge to join the frolic in the deep.   2

"Come. Farther up and deeper in!" He bids me through the storm. 3,4
Perfect love drives out the fear and I skim the waves unaware.

And he has gone before me, He knows the way I take.
He left his echoes in the water, come follow in His wake.




1 "And he cried unto the Lord, and the Lord showed him a tree, which when he had cast into the waters, the waters were made sweet." Exodus 15:25
2 "There is the sea, vast and spacious,teeming with creatures beyond number—living things both large and small. There the ships go to and fro, and the leviathan, which you formed to frolic there." Psalm 104: 25

3“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Matthew 14

4 CS Lewis references: "Utter East" (Voyage of the Dawn treader) "farther up.." (The Last Battle)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Do you write poetry? I do, too! :-) I absolutely love the last line as well as the title.