Friday, January 1, 2010

people

First day of January. Seeing as my post have gotten progressively less each month since i made this blog, I decided to go ahead and post to start the year of right.

The title of this post is "people" because I've been thinking about "people."

Since Beefygeek and I are both very... how shall I put this... loud, it may come as a surprise to people who know us that we both consider ourselves introverts. And since we got married and moved at least an hour way from everyone we knew two years ago, we've really had a chance to see just HOW introverted we really are. I never thought in a million years we would be so perfectly content not to know anybody. Of course, it may have something to do with the fact that we were madly in love and in that lovely, dewy eyed newlywedded stage of self-absorption. Kinda still are...

And then, we're both homebodies on top of it. Perfectly content not to do much outside our own little place in this world. Its great on the budget, but hard to make friends. We haven't met many people at work for the simple reason I work with kids, he works at a small business, in a little studio, so our co-workers are essentially Elmo and a Macbook.

Lately however, we've been convicted that a part of this "contentment" is really just laziness. Laziness in maintaining old friendships. Laziness in using facebook as our only means of communication with the outside world. I'm starting to hate facebook for that. Laziness in being unwilling to step out of our comfort zones to make new friends. And we've been missing the fellowship with other believers that we used to enjoy without effort.

So, we've been trying. And it's been fun. I didn't realize how much I missed people until I started being with them again. Its so refreshing to be in other worlds again. Talking and thinking about the things other people care about. Hearing their take on the world. Laughing at new jokes. Getting involved at church instead of just attending and leaving. Having to get dressed on Saturday. Going someplace besides work, church, and the grocery store.

God wanted us to be in relationship. That's why He established marriage. But He also established the church. And told us to be "in the world, not of it." And I think He had a pretty good idea.

No comments: